Charleston Water System has implemented an Environmental Management System (EMS) to manage the impacts of our operations on the environment.
The following Environmental Policy Statement outlines our committment to protecting and improving our environment.
Charleston Water System is committed to the improvement of the environment for present and future generations through:
- The treatment and delivery of safe potable water.
- The collection, treatment, and proper disposal of wastewater.
- The responsible impact of its activities, products and services on the environment.
- Continual environmental improvement and the prevention of pollution.
- Compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulations, statutes and other environmentally related requirements to which the organization subscribes.
- The establishment of environmental objectives and targets that are periodically reviewed to ensure success.
- Communication of its Environmental Management System to Charleston Water System associates and to other interested parties.
Charleston Water System will establish and maintain an Environmental Management System (EMS) that corresponds to the ISO 14001 Standard and the mission, vision, strategic business plan and core values adopted by Charleston Water System.
An egret wades in the marsh grass near the Plum Island Wastewater Treatment Plant. Since the plant went online in 1971, water quality in the Charleston Harbor has improved dramatically. The plant has received awards for its high quality effluent and consecutive years of perfect permit compliance. Picture courtesy Jeep McCabe.